Stockholm University uses the Bologna model for grades and credits. A seven-point grading scale (A-F) is used. In order to pass the course or a course unit, the grade E or higher is required. The grades Fx and F are failing grades. There are some formal exams where the grade scale used is Pass (G) or Fail (U). Information on grading scales and assessments is included in the syllabus for each course.

Some courses have more than one course unit (see the course syllabus for details). In order to pass the course, the grade E or higher is required on all course units. The total course grade is calculated by weighing the grades from the course units. This is done using Bolbet.

Students who receive a grade E or higher cannot retake a written exam ("salstentamina"), or re-do the course or unit, to obtain a higher grade. Information about retaking a written exam is available on the exam schedule for each term - also see "exams and retakes". Note that if you receive the grade ‘Fx’ on a written exam, you need to retake the whole exam, not only parts of it. The Student Affairs Office can assist you if you have queries about retaking a written exam.

In course units assessed through seminar work and hand-in assignments, the grade 'Fx' can in some instances be supplemented into a passing grade. Information about how and when supplementation is possible is given in the syllabus, and the course description handed out by the teacher at the beginning of each course.

If you do not receive a passing grade for a course unit that requires attendance and other course work, contact your teacher or our study counsellor who will give you instructions. You can always contact our student counsellor for advice and information if you are unsure about what you need to do to complete a course. Also see information on submitting late coursework.


We aim to have all grades reported within 15 working days after an examination. Once the results have been reported, the grade will be available on "My Studies" (, provided you have fulfilled all the assessment criteria for the course or unit.

Written formal exams will be available for collection at the Student Affairs Office during office hours. For instructions on picking up other forms of assessments (e.g. essays), speak with your teacher. Equally, contact your teacher if you have any questions on why you can't see a grade on "My Studies" (once grades have been finalised) or why you have not received a passing grade.

Grade review

As stipulated in the Higher Education Ordinance, you cannot appeal a grade (HF 12 kap, 2 and 4§§). However, if there has been a clear mistake in grading, you may request a review of your grade. In order to do that, please contact the Director of Studies.