Many departments have bilateral exchange agreements with different Universities. If there isn’t a departmental agreement with the university or the country that you would like to study in, you can apply for one of Stockholm University’s central agreements, or you can decide to study abroad as a “free mover”.

Exchange agreements at the Department of English

The Department of English has exchange agreements with a number of universities.

As a participant in the Erasmus Plus programme, supported by the European Commission, the Department currently has exchange agreements with:

How do I apply?

The deadline for applications for our bilateral agreements is in March, if you wish to go abroad in the autumn term, and in October, for the spring term. Exact dates will be specified ahead of each term. Prerequisites include the completion of one year’s studies (60 credits) at a Swedish university or university college, of which at least 30 credits are in English studies at Stockholm University.

Studies abroad spring 2021

If you are interested in one of our bilateral agreements, an online information meeting will be held on Monday 5 October 2020 at 11 am via Zoom. The Zoom invitation will be published on Athena for students taking English 1 and 2 in the autumn term 2020. If you are not a student on those courses currently but want to attend, contact us at

Deadline for application: Sunday 11 October.

Application form for exchange studies VT21 (pdf) (118 Kb)

The following documents need to be enclosed with the application: 1. A letter presenting yourself and motivating why you would like to study abroad (approximately 500-600 words). The letter should be in English (PDF format); 2. A transcript of records (from Ladok).

If you are interested in participating in one of our exchange programmes, you can contact for further information.

How does Brexit affect Erasmus mobility?

We currently have students participating in the Erasmus + program, both incoming and outgoing exchanges, with the UK. How long this will be possible in the future, however, depends on which exit scenario takes place and when it happens.

If the exit includes an agreement with the European Commission, the UK will continue participating in the Erasmus+ program period and Stockholm University can continue sending out and receiving students until the end of spring term 2021. A “no deal” scenario, however, would mean that mobility can only continue up to the date of withdrawal. Students who began an exchange period before the exit will be able to carry out their mobility as planned, but no new mobility period can commence after a possible non-contractual withdrawal, if there are no other agreements concerning Erasmus + at that time.

The Department of English is currently negotiating new bilateral agreements outside Erasmus+ with several partner universities in the UK, which can be used in the case of a non-contractual Brexit. The full terms and conditions for such agreements are not yet available but applicants will be informed about these should the agreements be activated. It is already now known, however, that it will not be possible to apply for supplementary grants for exchanges based on bilateral agreements.

Stockholm University exchange agreement

Stockholm University also has exchange agreements with a number of universities and countries outside of Europe, such as Australia, Canada, New Zeeland and the USA. Information about these programmes and how you apply is available on the Stockholm University central website.

Free mover

You can also decide to study abroad on your own as a ‘free mover’ (that is, not through one of the University’s exchange programmes). As a ‘free mover’ you decide where you want to study and for how long, but you need to arrange it yourself, and you will be liable to potential fees in the country in question.

Information on studying in the UK can be obtained from the British Council in Stockholm. Students interested in studying in the USA can obtain information from the Sweden-America Foundation.